The Natural Resources and Environment Department is headed by the City Natural Resources Officer and is responsible for the implementation of policies, rules, regulations and Council bye-laws on conservation and sustainable exploitation of natural resources and proper sanitation and environmental management.
- Provide technical advice on natural resources conservation and utilization;
- Initiate and advise Council on natural resources bye laws and ordinances;
- Offer technical support and extension services to the community and private sector on natural resources;
- Appraise development plans and technical proposals in regard to environmental impact assessment;
- Carry out research, generate information and data on natural resources;
- Plan, implement and monitor programs & projects for ensuring a clean City and improving the ambience through sustainable management of solid waste, water, sewerage and sanitation facilities, parks and cemeteries.
- Maintain a clean, habitable and sustainable City environment;
- Undertake publicity and promotional activities for natural resource protection and sustainable use.
- Enforce proper methods for disposal of refuse and waste.